Stress can tug at us in many different forms. There are many physically signs of stress. A racing heartbeat, headaches around the eyes, sides or back of the head and tight muscles in the neck and shoulder area. Below are some ways to improve your massage experience and get the most out of the time you and the therapist have together.
Before the Massage
- Schedule your massage at the best time that works for YOU. If you are a 9-5er and LOVE the weekends then maybe a Friday night or Saturday afternoon is best for you. If you are a busy mom with lots to do then perhaps try scheduling your massage when the kids are in school. If you are agitated on the massage table because you feel like “you need to run out of the appointment” then that’s a warning sign to switch your appointment time to a more feasible hour of the day.
- Allow yourself to stop thinking about today’s “to-do” list. Think of positive relaxing images. Have you visited a tropical place where there where palm trees and sandy beaches or perhaps a mountainous scenery in Maine or New Hampshire. Try to avoid “running late” to your appointment. Allow yourself to linger in on time and float out on time when receiving your massage treatment.
- Meditate before you arrive for about 15 minutes. This will set the tone for the session. You can throw in a relaxation CD in your car and do this in the parking lot of the massage establishment or spa.
- Take a few slow deep meditative breaths before the massage session begins. Inhale for a count of 3 and exhale for a count of 4. Slowing your breath on the exhale slows your heart rate.
During the Massage
- Just like before the massage session, you also want to breath deeply and slowly with the rhythm of the massage. Inhale for a count of 3 and exhale for a count of 4.
- Communicate with your massage therapist as to pressure, temperature and comfort. Your therapist is a professional, not a mind reader. Your input actually puts the therapist at ease, knowing you are receiving the best care possible. If you are cold ask for an additional blanket. Would you like a neck role under your neck for added support? Just ask.
After the Massage
- Try to give yourself an hour after your massage to just BE. All that amazing work your massage therapist just did to unwind your mind and body should be relished in and savored. Perhaps find a local cafe to sit and relax with an herbal tea or go down to your town or cities local park with a good book on your kindle.
- Don’t feel guilty about cost. Find a local massage therapist that offers discounts on packages or monthly memberships. Ask if they have a referral program or monthly specials. Often times our mind is able to relax even more when we feel like we are getting our money’s worth.
Massage therapy is an excellent way to pour health back into your body. It is cost effective and healthy. Relaxation and pain relief massage treatments increase circulation, decrease your pain and force you to stop and rest. Rest is so important to recharging your body. Start creating great health habits today by booking your massage appointment. At Relaxation Works we are open 7 days a week, 10am-9pm every day. We provide convenient online booking and welcome you to try out what our signature Whole Health Massage has to offer you!